Frequently Asked Questions about Plumbing
Marathon Plumbing Plumbing FAQ
Why do faucets leak?
Leaks occur when seals inside the faucet become dirty or worn. Though you may choose to replace worn parts, replacing your old faucet with a new one can upgrade the look of your kitchen, bathroom or tub/shower decor and avoid further repair problems.
Why do some faucets cost so much more than others?
Some faucets are simply made better than others with higher quality materials such as solid brass or chrome-plated solid brass to achieve superior levels of appearance, performance, and durability. Although you may pay more for a quality faucet, you will receive a higher value for your money as a result of a longer-lasting and more reliable product.
Can I replace my two-handle faucet with a single-handle faucet?
The answer in most cases is yes. Generally, faucet dimensions and sink openings are standard throughout the plumbing industry. There are few exceptions however, so it is a good idea to check sizes first.
How should I clean polished brass faucets?
To remove dry water spots, use warm water and a soft, damp cloth. Never use cleansers that contain abrasives, harsh chemicals, alcohol or other solvents. To maintain the lustre of your decorator faucet, occasionally apply a high quality automotive wax – making sure that it does not contain abrasives.
Why doesn’t my old water heater work as well as it used to?
This is usually due to a sediment buildup in your tank. As water heaters grow older, they accumulate sediment and lime deposits. If these deposits are not removed periodically, the sediment will create a barrier between the burner and the water, greatly reducing the water heater’s performance level. This results in an increase in the amount of fuel required to deliver hot water.
What is meant by a ‘pressure balancing’ shower faucet?
A pressure balancing shower faucet senses fluctuations in hot or cold water pressure, caused by actions such as flushing toilets or starting dishwashers. A pressure balancing valve compensates for these fluctuations, keeping the water temperature constant and comfortable.
Water and Gas Lines
At Marathon Plumbing we locate and repair gas and water leaks. We service and install new gas and water lines.
Our Plumbing Services
We specialize in providing fast, high quality repair, replacement and installation services including:
- Plumbing Repairs
- Drain Cleaning
- Water Heaters
- Well Systems
- Sewer Lines
- Water Lines
- Heating Systems
- Gas Lines
At Marathon Plumbing in the Port Neches area, we are happy to help you with large and small plumbing problems. If you are experiencing a plumbing emergency, you can review these questions and answers while you are waiting for repair services from our company. Many people have common questions about sewer lines or clogged drains, so we have compiled the top five plumbing FAQs here.
- Why do drains get clogged? For the most part, kitchen drains clog because people get careless with what they put in them. Bathroom drains tend to clog because of hair buildup, and oil residue from soaps and shampoos. Treating them with a drain cleaner can help eliminate clogs but more severe clogs will require professional help.
- Do I need a plumber to fix a leaky faucet or a clogged drain? A plumber in the Port Neches area is highly skilled at repairing pipes and plumbing related fixtures, and can diagnose and solve problems that you might not be able to detect.
- Why does my faucet drip? Usually a dripping faucet is the result of an internal component that needs repairs or replacement. This is an inexpensive and simple fix that can save you tons of money over time.
- Is it a big deal if my toilet runs non-stop? Leaky toilets can add hundreds of dollars every year onto your Port Neches water bill. A toilet that runs non-stop indicates that some part of the mechanism is faulty.
- What can I put in my garbage disposal? Almost all biodegradable food waste can be put into garbage disposals. However, high-fiber content foods and non-food materials should never be run through a disposer.
Contact Us Today
Leave the plumbing repairs and installations to the experts at Marathon Plumbing. We are proud to serve residential and commercial customers in the Port Neches and surrounding areas. Contact us today at (409) 727-7586 to schedule a free, no-obligation estimate or if you have a question that was not answered here. We are happy to help!